As of August 1st 2012, Dave Smith is shipping the new addition to the family of power house analog synths. Its a polyphonic Mopho. That’s right a polyphonic mopho. I’m certain the bboytech in all of us has asked for this. The only difference is that we called it a DSI Tetra keyboard. But who cares if its called a mopho x4, the principle is the same. It has 4 voices and keys. Lastly, the street price is $1299.
Hey, if MoPho is indicative of monophonic, wouldnt that make the x4 the the “PoPho” or the “PoMopho”. Well its all the same I suspect there will be a bunch of Po’ Mopho’s now that this piece is officially shipping. I just may be one myself. Hi Dave Smith take my money please. …And why not, it boasts a bigger keyboard with more keys and loads of added functionality… oh and more voices. Check the stats.
- 100% analog signal path
- Two oscillators per voice capable of producing sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle, and variable pulse width square waves, with hard sync
- Two sub-octave generators per voice (one octave below oscillator 1 and two octaves below oscillator 2)
- One classic Curtis low-pass filter per voice (switchable 2- or 4-pole) with audio rate modulation, self-oscillating in 4-pole mode
- Analog VCAs
- Three envelope generators per voice (ADSR plus delay)
- Feedback loop per voice with programmable level and gain
- White noise generator
- 4 LFOs per voice
- Gated 16 x 4 step sequencer per voice (one sequence per program)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- Full-sized, 44-note (F to C), semi-weighted keyboard action with velocity and aftertouch
- Full-sized modulation wheel and spring-loaded pitch wheel
- Fully programmable with four banks of 128 read-only factory programs and four banks of 128 user programs (1,024 total)
- USB type B receptacle
- MIDI In, Out/Thru, and Poly Chain
- Left and Right audio outputs: 1/4″ phone jack (unbalanced)
- Sustain pedal input (accepts normally on or off momentary footswitch with 1/4″ phone plug)
- Expression pedal/control voltage (3.3 VDC max.) input (1/4″ TRS phone jack)
- Headphone output: 1/4″ TRS stereo phone jack
- Dimensions: approximately 25.2″ L x 11.1″ W x 3.6″ H (64 cm x 28.2 cm x 9.1 cm)
- Weight: 9.4 lb. (4.35 kg)
- Power supply for 100V – 240V AC operation
- Operation manual
- Free downloadable software editor for Mac OS and Windows
It’s a polyphonic Mopho keyboard!
Mopho x4 is the newest addition to DSI’s revered line of analog subtractive synthesizers. Building upon the same award winning voice architecture of the Mopho and Mopho Keyboard, the Mopho x4 boasts huge sound and 4 voice polyphony in an ideally sized, portable, and elegantly designed package. Use it to create huge unison basses, creamy leads, maniacal sequences, and ethereal pads.
4 times the voice 4 your pleasure
Each of Mopho x4’s four voices is composed of two analog oscillators, two sub octave generators, selectable 2- or 4-pole famed Curtis low-pass filter, three 5-stage envelope generators, four LFOs, a re-latchable arpeggiator, and a 16 x 4 step sequencer. Its voice also comes packed with 20 modulation sources and almost 50 destinations!
FM the filter to create metallic bell-like sounds and use the feedback path to add subtle or destructive harmonic content to your sound. Mopho x4’s 100% analog signal path is powerful, monstrous, and sonically dynamic!
Work less, play more
Mopho x4 is intuitive and inviting. Every parameter is fully programmable and editable from the front panel. The controls are logically laid out, lending themselves to quick access so you can tweak knobs without missing a beat.
The x4’s full sized 44-note semi-weighted keyboard has aftertouch and velocity sensitivity. The sturdy full sized pitch and mod wheels are freely assignable and sport smooth reliable action.
It grows with you
Expand Mopho x4’s polyphony using it’s Poly Chain port. Mopho, Tetra, and Prophet ’08 can all be connected to the x4 to increase its voice count. You can Poly Chain up to three Tetras with Mopho x4 to create a 16 voice analog super synth!
The Mopho x4!
Dave Smith Instruments is the only company pioneering and producing fully programmable polyphonic analog synthesizers. In fact Dave’s been at it for 35 years!
Designed and manufactured in San Francisco, Mopho x4 has the high quality sound and build for which DSI is renowned. From its feature packed analog voices and unmatched sonic versatility to its refined design and engaging interface, you won’t find a polyphonic analog synthesizer like this anywhere else.