Happy 10th year to the MiniMoog Voyager. As we wait patiently and try to figure out what Moog Music Inc. has up their analog sleeves for tomorrow’s big announcement we’ve come up with 10 reasons why you should have the worst case of gear lust for the MiniMoog Voyager. Besides the fact that it’s a real physical synth with a wooden body, we’ll go with the following 10 reasons.
10. The sound modifiers are two Moog filters and one stereo VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier).
9. The signal path starts with a bank of three wide-range, high-stability voltage controlled oscillators, one noise source, and one audio preamplifier for externally-applied audio signals.
8. The three dimensional touch surface, MIDI IN and MIDI OUT implementation, extensive patching facilities
7. It incorporates virtually all of the sound resources and functions of the original Model D Minimoog, which was produced by Moog Music, Inc. from 1970 to 1982.
6. Three wide-range, high stability VCO’s (Voltage Controlled Oscillators) with continuously-variable waveforms.
5. It comes in a nice compact rack mountable edition. Easily hidden from the wife/husband/partner. That is if you can hide the fact that a few thousand synth bucks are missing from the bank.
4. It’s the best $4000 you’ll ever spend but the wife/husband/partner may not agree. Proceed with caution.
3. Voyager Flashing Pitch & Mod Wheel. This is a custom modification which drives the pitch and mod wheel LED brightness directly from the LFO triangle wave output, giving you an accurate and dramatic visual representation of the LFO voltage level at any moment. It comes with a small internal switch which allows you to set the wheel lighting back to “always on” in case of visual over-stimulation.
2. Cryptic interplanetary Moog messages like “NOW IS THE TIME! It’s your last chance ever…but it’s your best chance too. Check back Friday if you’re waiting for the drop, we’ll leave the lights on for you a little bit longer. Opportunities like this only come once every ten years.”
1. J Dilla used it along side his Akai MPC 3000 at the height of the Soul Aquarians / Neo Soul Golden era
Bonus Round: IT’S A MOOG SYNTH! DUH!