One of the best things about technology is that it opens up a world of new possibilities for musicians and beat makers. Whereas, there was a time when you had to spend thousands of dollars on hardware synthesizers in order to have such power and versatility, iOS devices have catapulted us into a space age where synths are unique, capable and rather reasonably priced.
In this issue of “BEAT MAKERS TOOL KIT” we will explore 5 must have iPad synths.
Sunrizer synth is a virtual analog synthesizer that takes the definition of iOs synthesizer to the next level. Thanks to carefully designed architecture and heavy usage of coprocessor it blurs the boundaries between iOs and hardware synthesizers. Sunrizer was built to perform and works perfectly with any MIDI keyboard or sequencer. A lot of research has been done in order to achieve unheard warmth and clarity.
- True SuperSaw sound emulation, first found in the legendary Roland JP-8000 synthesizer. SuperSaw is a layered waveform consisting of multiple saw waves which are detuned to create an extremely full and epic sound. It’s possible to use 2 supersaw oscillators per voice * 7 polyphony = 98 saw oscillators playing the same time!
- Two independent filters per voice with configurable routing. You can select between various filter types including classic resonant LP,HP,BP,Notch and less common like Comb and Formant.
- The Morph Group function lets you continuously morph of up to 30 parameters in a sound (including effects), using only the modulation wheel.
- Full support for CoreMidi and MidiMobilizer, MIDI mapping, Virtual Midi Ports and background audio
- Multi mode lets you multiply oscillators to get unbelievably fat and full sound.
- 2 warm-sounding analog modelled oscillators per voice + 2 sub-oscillators (except SuperSaw). Available waveforms: Saw, PWM pulse,Triangle, SuperSaw, FM (frequency of phase modulation).
- Oscillator 2 hard-sync and configurable routing
- FM (true frequency modulation) and PM mode
- Osc-mix, ring modulator
- White noise oscillator
- Two independent filters per voice with configurable routing. You can select between various filter types including: resonant LP,HP,BP,Notch, Comb and Formant.
- Configurable routing: serial or parallel with bypass option.
- ADSR envelope, keyboard tracking and full LFO control
Animoog, powered by the new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), is Moog Music’s first professional polyphonic synthesizer designed exclusively for the iPad. ASE allows you to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create a constantly evolving and expressive soundscape.
Animoog captures the vast sonic vocabulary of Moog synthesizers and applies it to the modern touch surface paradigm, enabling you to quickly sculpt incredibly fluid and dynamic sounds that live, breathe, and evolve as you play them.
Visually captivating and sonically immersive, Animoog brings iPad based music production to the next level. Whether you are new to synthesis or a professional, Animoog’s unique user interface gives you the power to easily create a visually vibrant and sonically rich universe. It is the ultimate tool for total creative expression!
Animoog’s diverse library of timbres is derived from analog waveforms captured from classic Moog oscillators, both vintage and modern, and run through a boutique’s worth of high-end outboard and analog signal processors. These include modular synth panels, Moogerfooger pedals and more.
Magellan is the bold new professional analog modeling synthesizer for the iPad. Not content with just one synth, we gave Magellan TWO independent polyphonic synth engines. Individually or together, they deliver a new powerful warmth to the sound of iOS music.
Complete with a full effects rack, a total of six oscillators, dual filters per engine, multiple unison stages, extensive modulation matrix, dedicated arpeggiators, powerful MIDI capabilities, and a polyphonic step-sequencer – the aural possibilities with Magellan are infinite!
• 2 independent virtual analog synth engines running simultaneously
• 3 oscillators per synth engine; total of 6 realtime oscillators
• Osc unison stage w/ adjustable detune & width, up to 24 simultaneous wave generators for super-saw type effects
• Realtime PWM Modulation for osc 1 & 2
• FM module w/ dedicated blend, ADSR envelope, adjustable contour
• Oscillator 2>1 ring modulation
• Noise generator w/ adjustable tone
• 2 filter banks per synth engine, configurable in series or parallel
• Dedicated ADSR envelope for each bank; selectable envelope curve, adjustable contour
• 11 Filter types for each bank
• Dual LFO’s per synth
• Up to 4 freely assignable destinations per LFO
• Dedicated amp setting for each LFO destination
• Dedicated arpeggiator in each synth engine
• 10 arp patterns; Settable note value & gate; swing
• 6 octaving modes, plus settable note and octave repeats
• Analog inspired 16/32 step polyphonic sequencer
• 8 track poly output per pattern in 16-step, 4 track poly out in 32-step “link” mode
• Comprehensive FX rack: Reverb, Stereo Delay w/ BPM sync, Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Waveshaper/Distortion, Bitcrusher, Sonic Expander
PPG WaveGenerator is the latest development from the inventor of wavetable synthesis, Wolfgang Palm. It is a next generation synthesizer, building on the heritage of the PPG Wave keyboards.The PPG WaveGenerator comes with a multitude of wavetables. The sound material contains the typical sounds from the original PPG wave models, as well as many new sounds generated by versatile analysis tools and also hand edited waves.
This app enables the user, to create his own wavetables in a playful way, and to hear the result immediately. Also you can construct the waves by adding harmonics very precise.
Another way is to transform a picture into a wavetable. You can load photos from your album or even shoot a picture with the camera.The waves are collected in a grid of 256 fields, to which the 3 oscillators of the synthesizer have arbitrary and independent access.
•Creation of your own waves and wavetables.
•Playful sound creation simply by drawing or picking harmonics
•3D page, visualization of the wavetables, transformation from photos into wavetables.
•256 waves assembled within a wave grid
•3 Audio Oscillators
•3 Noise generators, for audio and modulations
•Classic 24 dB Lowpass Filter, combined with an overdrive simulation.
•Dual amplifier, for versatile control of 2 audio signals as well as panning.
•13 Envelopes, for independent control of pitch, waveform, filter and noise gain and panning
•Audio engine with 2 synthesis modes, and variable wave blending quality.
•Directly accessible context help inside the app
•Use a camera, to shoot a picture and then transform it into a sound!
•Using state of the art technologies, but still the versatile and efficient synthesis system.
•Build your own keyboard, with the keys you prefer for your music.
Impaktor is a drum synthesizer with a vast sonic palette, that turns any surface into a playable percussion instrument. You just slap your desk like you would a real drum. The real acoustical impulses from the built-in microphone are used as an excitation source for advanced sound modules that simulates behavior of membranes, cymbals, metallophones or strings. This makes Impaktor a highly responsive and expressive instrument. With semi-modular architecture and several types of synthesis, Impaktor can produce a wide range of tones, from acoustic, like Tabla, Djembe, Marimba, Cymbals, Metal bars to electronic or industrial sounds.